Ⅰ. Discipline Introduction
Affiliated to “Engineering”, the “Food Science and Engineering” discipline of Jiangnan University, a first-level discipline, is the earliest of its kind in China. In 1962, food science and engineering programs for postgraduate students were initiated at the university. In 1981, “Grain Engineering” and “Lipid Engineering” programs were one of the first to be authorized to confer master’s degree in the country. Then the doctor programs of “Food Engineering”, “Lipid and Vegetable Protein Engineering” and “Grain Engineering” were authorized in 1984, 1986, and 1993 respectively, earlier than their counterparts in China too. After the discipline adjustment made by the Ministry of Education in 1998, the above doctor programs were renamed as “Food Science” and “Grain, Lipid and Vegetable Protein Engineering”. In 2000, Jiangnan University was one of the first to offer doctor programs with its “Food Science and Engineering” identified as the first-level discipline. Then approved in 2006 was the construction of State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology. The university’s “Food Science and Engineering”, the only one of its kind, was honored as China’s first-level key discipline in 2007 and selected into China’s “Double First Class (First-Class University & First-Class Discipline)” construction plan in 2017. In the fourth round of national assessment of disciplines, it was graded A+. Among its 144 full-time teaching faculty, there are 48 doctoral supervisors and 103 master supervisors, among whom are over 20 high-level experts from Thousand Talents Plan, Changjiang Scholars Program, High-level Talent Introduction Plan for Overseas Youngsters, or winners of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars. The faculty satisfies the scale needs of the sustainable development of the discipline, and has formed three teams with diversified academic value orientations, i.e., international education, scientific research and social service.
Postgraduate students in this major can be engaged in management, scientific research and development, teaching, production, quality supervision, analysis and testing and other related work. Many previous postgraduates have become the leading force with professional technology and management kills in scientific research institutions, colleges and universities, enterprises and institutions. Their professional expertise, scientific research ability, professionalism and comprehensive quality have been reputable and widely recognized at home and abroad.
II. Training Objectives
1. To uphold the correct political orientation, abide by laws and disciplines, and have good moral characters, academic qualities, and teamwork spirit;
2. To master a systematic and wide range of basic theories, in-depth professional knowledge and practical skills in the discipline; to closely follow up the latest development and the frontiers of the discipline; to be able to independently complete innovative or cutting-edge research projects by using theoretical frameworks and experimental techniques of this discipline and its related disciplines; to be self-improved and innovative, and to have the ability to independently engage in scientific research, teaching and serving economic construction in the field of this discipline;
3. To make dissertation have important academic value and certain social significance, whose research subject is expected to be innovative in a certain research direction in this field and to prospectively make creative achievements in theory or engineering;
4. To have a good command of a foreign language, fluently reading foreign language versions of professional books, getting access to foreign literature, writing abstracts in foreign language, and having the basic ability of international academic exchanges.
III. Research Direction
Food Components and Property
Food Nutrition and Functional Food Engineering Technology
Food Safety and Quality Control
Food Processing and Ingredients
Cereal and Starch
Lipid & Vegetable Protein
Food Resource and Corresponding Integrated Utilization Technology
Molecular Nutrition and Health
IV. Years of Study
The duration of doctor programs for postgraduate students is 4 years, with on-campus study time limits of 3-6 years. The duration of bachelor--doctor degree programs is 5 years, with time limits of no more than 7 years, including student’s time for master and doctor coursework. The duration of Master -Doctor combined Programs is 5 years, with on-campus study time limits of no more than 7 years.
V. Training Mode
For more information, please see the “Training Program for Doctoral Students of Jiangnan University” in the Postgraduate Handbook of Jiangnan University.
VI. Assessment Methods and Requirements
Doctoral students’ course study, experimental practice and academic paper are evaluated in the forms of examination, test and thesis defense, and the mid-term evaluation of the students is generally conducted in the fourth semester. For more information, please see the “Training Program for Doctoral Students of Jiangnan University” in the Postgraduate Handbook of Jiangnan University.
VII. Optimization Mechanism
Please see Postgraduate Handbook of Jiangnan University about “Selection and Reward of Excellent Dissertation of Jiangnan University Postgraduate Students” and “Management of Training Fund for Outstanding Doctoral Students of Jiangnan University”.
VIII. Requirements for Dissertation
1. See the following sections in the Postgraduate Handbook of Jiangnan University, i.e., “Training Program for Doctoral Students of Jiangnan University”, “Jiangnan University Regulations on the Academic Ethics of Postgraduate Students” , “Jiangnan University Provisions of Punishment on Detected Academic Misconducts in Dissertation”, “Dissertation Requirements and Format Regulations for Postgraduate Students of Jiangnan University”, “Jiangnan University’s Detailed Rules for Blind Examination of Doctor’s and Master's Dissertation”, “Jiangnan University Provisions of Punishment on Failed Postgraduate Dissertation After Sample Examination and Evaluation”, etc.
2. See the relevant regulations formulated by the Degree Assessment Committee.
IX. Thesis Defense and Degree Conferring
1. See the “Working Rules for the Conferring of Doctorate from Jiangnan University” in the Postgraduate Handbook of Jiangnan University.
2. See the specific regulations formulated by the Degree Assessment Committee.